Sunday, June 13, 2010

Churro!

Good morning!
Spinning is on my 'bucket' list. Lately, however, I've been getting "pushes" from my Yarniverse to consider it more seriously. Inspirations began with Clara Parkes' Knitter's Review which led to Catskill Merino Sheep Farm and thoughts of knitting with yarn from US grown,  non-muesling-treated Sheep. Why not spin my own?

THEN, while I worked 'brainless', this NPR Weekend Edition Sunday segment further inspired me.


SAVE THE SHEEP! (Buy the fleece, process, spin and knit it to support the breeders and the breed.) This is a Desert breed introduced to North America hundreds of years ago, nearly exterminated by the White man intentionally because it was inconvenient! Just like the Navaho population it supported.

In a world of Climate Change, do we not need more hardy, fleece bearing animals? Methinks so...

1 comment:

  1. Love that her feet are shaved down. We do that to our dog with shaggy feet. I call it "stiletto feet" because she looks like she is wearing high heels when all that fur is gone.

    ReplyDelete